Position: Art Director/Designer
Job Role: Art Director/Designer
Full-time, On-site (Charlottesville, VA). Not fully remote, but flexible.
Watermark Design is an award-winning branding and package design studio delivering exceptional artistry. We offer branding, packaging and illustration services for craft beverage and other premium brands.
We’re looking for an Art Director/Designer who wants to join our small team of passionate people in Charlottesville, VA. If you love a small town feel but in a quickly growing foodie city, tucked in the mountains but close to Richmond and D.C., we have a place for you. We look for team members who want to find a long-term home in which they can continue to develop and grow. We are an intentionally small studio with big plans, ideas and work. We value the hand-crafted, focusing on delivering exceptional artistry. Our work has been recognized & awarded nationally and internationally and we are only getting started. We are looking for people who are excited to go big, but are also humble and team players so that we can really collab, design and have fun as a team.
The person we’re looking for is equal parts strategic thinker, creative genius, problem-solver, and empathetic manager.
We’re looking for someone who’s not afraid to roll up their sleeves, while primarily providing art direction, inspiring and pushing the design team, and bringing solutions to branding and packaging projects. This person is excels at speaking with clients, delivering concept presentations, and guiding clients alongside our Project Manager.
Qualified applicants must have an extensive design background in addition to experience managing creatives. This position reports into the Creative Director and is responsible for managing and mentoring the entire design team. An amazing portfolio will get you in the door, demonstrating excellency in design, but your personality, leadership skills and ability to manage anything that comes at you, will get you the job.
* Provide creative leadership across multiple design projects simultaneously, but also be able to design alongside your team
* Mentor, inspire designers and provide thoughtful and constructive feedback that encourages team growth and professional development
* Oversee and guide the creative excellence of our work across the board
* Be a steward of agency culture and our obsession with the beverage and other industries; constantly learning and looking and improving upon our knowledge of materials, software, presentation and more.
* Be constantly in the know on what’s working and what’s not – and then work with our CD and PM to evolve and improve our creative process in a manner that keeps our team’s health, well-being, and balance
* Work closely with our Project Manager to manage creative resourcing and team assignments across client project
- Lead our team of award-winning designers
and also design award-winning work
- Meet time and budget requirements
- Work through design problems and develop solutions
- Illustration and/or hand-lettering skills are a plus
- Attend all client meetings and develop creative briefs following
- Review all outgoing artwork to ensure it meets Watermark standards
- Lead critiques and provide constructive feedback in a timely manner
- Inspire the Watermark team and help drive the most creative solutions
- Work with management to ensure projects move smoothly
- Work with clients to ensure their voices are heard
- 7 or more years experience
- Expert within Adobe programs
- Brand Strategy experience
- Extensive knowledge of printing processes, options and requirements in packaging
- Solutions-oriented person
- Constant learner. Always striving to be better and learn new techniques.
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Extremely Detail-oriented and thorough
- Great communication skills, ability to work well within a team atmosphere. Must love teaching, people and be an empathetic leader.
- Ability to work under pressure, change direction when required and work on a range of client projects at the same time
- Passion for design
- No calls please. Send portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org